1) What is the purpose of this FAQs?
To explain the project and how Satellite CO2 offsets can help conserve forests.
2) What Indigenous People are involved?
The Lega People & Tribal Leader of Shabunda, DR Congo, Africa, are involved.
3) Where is the project located?
Shabunda rainforest territory, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Africa.
4) What is the threat to the rainforest?
Encroachment by human activity & development in part due to population growth, as well as climate change.
5) What is a QuantumQarbon?
A "quantum" is a measured quantity, in this case, miles traveled or area developed, or quantification of carbon offsets by satellite data.
6) What is being sold?
QuantumQarbon when purchased conserves rainforests & biodiversity also avoiding emissions by quantification of net forest carbon sequestration.
7) How is biodiversity involved?
Biodiversity is protected when intact forest is conserved, and forests are restored. In part, revenue from carbon offsets will empower forest communities to conserve.
8) What are avoided emissions?
Protected, undeveloped forests retain carbon that otherwise is lost if developed, however, these "avoided emissions" are otherwise pure estimation, unless confirmed by direct measurements.
9) Why are avoided emissions important?
They also protect Indigenous Peoples land & biodiversity & slow global warming. As an indicator of the project status, avoided emissions coupled with direct measurerments ensure conservation, restoration and management.
10) How much does the product cost?
One hectare of conserved biodiversity, rainforest & avoided emissions costs $51.00
11) What is the minimum purchase price?
$4.99 USD, payable online by diverse fiat and cryptocurrencies.
12) Can I use a credit card, bitcoin and other forms of payment?
Yes. All payments are made online.
13) Where do I purchase products?
Purchase QuantumQarbon products here: https://shabunda.myshopify.com/collections/all
14) How are products verified?
Intact forest is verified by high resolution remote sensing to detect deforestation at small scale and at the same time the offset products are quantified by satellite CO2 data.
15) What is the project benchmark for deforestation verification?
Ideally, the project must show No-Net-Loss of forest canopy per year, a metric easily inferred from satellite data.
16) What happens if the forest is not conserved?
Ecosystems and human activities may result in time intervals of net positive emissions to the atmosphere. When this condition is observed the project is halted for review and corrective procedures. In some cases, offsets may be suspended, or other approaches may be employed to remedy the situation.
17) What do I receive after purchase?
A numbered certificate of QuantumQarbon purchased, link to project map, and updates.
18) Is this an investment product?
No. This is a consumer, non-investment, product.
19) Can the products be traded?
QuantumQarbon certificates cannot be formally traded but can be informally exchanged as gifts between friends.
20) Will the value of the product increase over time?
This is a buy-and-hold product whose future value is unknown. Updates on vintage price adjustments will be provided as needed.
21) Who should buy the products?
Individuals, corporations, cities, governments or any entity needing seeking quantified offsets (e.g., QuantumQarbon)
22) What connection to the project will I have?
We will connect you directly to the project with updates from the field.
23) How long does the product last?
Each hectare is pledged to be conserved for up to 30 years, purchased by year.
24) Who determines the project land rights and project goals?
The Lega People and Tribal Leader of the region have the sole rights to determine the project land rights and project goals.
25) Are environmental and social safeguards in place?
Yes. We have safeguards in place for the project.
26) Is this the initial part of the project?
Yes. This is Phase I of a two Phase project.
27) How long will Phase I last?
Phase I for any given land area and project will take about 3 months to complete.
28) What does No-Net-Loss (NNL) mean?
NNL means that there is no loss of forest and biodiversity during the project in Phase I.
29) Why buy the products offered?
It will prevent deforestation and support Indigenous communities who protect the intact forest. This region is precious and second only to the Amazon in the magnitude of biomass and potential carbon sequestration.
30) Are the products linked to Social Development Goals (SDG's)?
Yes, they are linked directly to Shabunda SDG's.
31) What benefits result?
Indigenous People should receive economic, health and social benefits while protecting the forest.
32) How will the proceeds be used?
Proceeds are used according to a community development plan for Shabunda as determined by tribal leaders and the community.
33) Does the plan include healthcare, nutrition and sanitation for communities?
Yes, we will initiate as soon as possible healthcare, nutrition and sanitation programs for the project.
34) Will my purchase help delay global warming?
Yes, indirectly. Trees absorb CO2 partially offsetting global warming.
35) Is the project part of the Paris Agreement (PA)?
No, but PaC is seeking PA compliance for project QQ.
36) Is there further project development planned?
Yes, we plan to monitor forest CO2 uptake in Phase II.
37) What is the goal in Phase II?
The goal is to increase forest cover, biodiversity and conservation as Net-Gain in Phase II using direct measurement ground sensors for net CO2 project flux.
38) Is reforestation planned?
Yes, Phase II also involves reforestation along a buffer zone and in deforested areas.
39) When will Phase II begin?
The estimated start of Phase II is in June 2024, pending success of Phase I.